Trevecca Nazarene University faculty and students are involved in a number of research projects. Some research reflects faculty and students' professional research interests and some research is related to class or program requirements. All research conducted by Trevecca faculty and students, and all research conducted at Trevecca by outside groups, must be approved by Trevecca's Institutional Review Board—responsible for ensuring compliance with established federal and university procedural and ethical guidelines for research.
The mission of the Institutional Review Board is to:
- Guard and protect the rights and well-being of human subjects
- Promote the integrity of researchers in demonstrating leadership and compassion in dealing with their research subjects
- Foster community respect for Trevecca's process in carrying out quality research while ensuring the dignity of research participants
- Ensure compliance with established federal and university procedural and ethical guidelines.
The Institutional Review Board will review all research involving human subjects. The IRB may approve, modify, or disapprove any research project not meeting the principles and ethical constrains of governmental or the university's guidelines concerning treatment of human subjects. The board will be responsible to review initial projects, projects continuing past a 12-month time frame, and any project where the methodology changes substantively.
Researchers under the auspices of the Institutional Review Board
Everyone whose research involves human subjects should submit an application for approval:
- All Trevecca faculty, staff, and administrators
- All doctoral candidates
- All students doing non-class related research (must be under the supervision of a faculty mentor)
- All non-Trevecca persons applying to use Trevecca's students, faculty, staff, or administrators in their research
- All faculty members requiring class-related research must submit a general outline of their students' projects to ensure the safety of human subjects and to establish accountability.
Institutional Review Board
Office of Academic Affairs
Trevecca Nazarene University
333 Murfreesboro Rd.
Nashville, TN 37210