Director: Scot Corey - Adjunct faculty since 2000
Mr. Corey is also active with his own professional percussion ensemble: Matrix Percussion Trio. This trio recently performed for the Tennessee Arts Academy (7/9/07) and was awarded the 2007 Percussive Arts Society Zildjian Family Opportunity Fund grant, to present their multi-cultural percussion program (We Are The World: Percussion Around The Globe) to elementary and middle schools throughout the greater Nashville area.
Please visit their website: www.matrixpercussiontrio.com
Mr. Corey is an educational endorser with Pro*Mark drumsticks.
The TNU Percussion Ensemble was founded during the 2001-2002 school year, based on the following guidelines:
- To prepare students for performance in small ensemble situations in the professional world.
- The focal point is the improvement of individual musicianship through cooperation within the ensemble as a whole.
- The foundation for all of this is a Servant attitude.
- To help students turn their individual focus on self-improvement towards a broader focus on an ensemble as a whole, thereby adding greatly back to their own individual skills.
- To help students reach their potential through the discipline and organization of musical practice/performance.
- To expose the students to various genres of percussion ensemble music, including different ethnic styles, which also give students a better understanding/appreciation for people of different cultures and their values.
To see performance places and times please visit the Department of Music Calendar.