Practicum and Internship
PLEASE NOTE: The current practicum/internship information is valid for students starting either of the master's graduate counseling programs prior to Fall 2011. New requirements for students entering the program, Fall 2011 and beyond, are also now available.
Practica are courses taken within the masters' programs in order to complete degree requirements. More advanced two and three semester Internships are also offered within the Counseling and MFT programs. One semester Counseling Internships (PSY 5453) is a post-degree course taken to satisfy the state of Tennessee's licensure requirements for LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor).
Instructions for upcoming Practicum students:
- Two semesters prior to taking the course, decide upon the sites you want to approach (from the Potential Practicum Site List below, or others).
- Construct a Counseling resume and cover letter. (Resume example) (Strengths worksheet) (Jan Harvey, Clinical Coordinator, can help you with this if needed)
- Call to see if they have any practicum/internship slots available, and set an interview.
- Mail your counseling resume and cover letter.
- Get prepared: research the site, prepare for the interview (know what the TNU program requirements are, for you, your Trevecca supervisor, and the site supervisor---via Guidelines for your course found online). Many students do not get the practicum position due to being unprepared.
- Take a copy of the guidelines with you to the interview for your site supervisor.
Once you have secured the position:
- Find the correct “course number” on your program of study.
- Students in the MFT 5455/ Counseling PSY 5450; /Counseling Psych PSY 5456 Practicum courses; (150/30 hours), or Internship PSY 5453 (200/50 hours) course will submit a Site Summary form completed and emailed to the Clinical Coordinator, Jan Harvey, three weeks prior to the semester beginning. A contract will then be sent to your site supervisor for signature. Your work is done. Attend the Practicum Orientation --always on the Thursday evening prior to the first Saturday class date of the semester. It is usually held in Quick Lecture Hall at 6:00 PM .
- Students in the courses CSL 5482 (Techniques & Interventions) or MFT 5700 (Marital Therapy I), (100/40 hours) will download the Practicum Application for their specific program [MFT, Counseling](instructions for submission are included in the application ). (Note deadline dates to have completed application submitted: Summer deadline - March 1; Fall deadline-July 1; Spring deadline-November 1. ) As part of the application, Download the Site Summary form from the online forms (under NEW forms: MFT , Counseling), sign it, then get your Site Supervisor to sign it. Follow complete instructions in the application. If it is not an approved site yet, send the Site Summary and the Clinical Coordinator will contact the site for the necessary paperwork for them to be approved. You cannot begin your practicum without the site being approved.
After your Practicum Application file has been received and approved, you may download the Practicum Contract Agreement , (use correct dates per Saturday cycle) sign it, get supervisor's signature and email it to the Clinical Coordinator. Once the Contract Agreement is received, the Clinical Coordinator will sign it and send a signed copy to the Site Supervisor along with the student evaluation forms for the semester(s). The student is encouraged to keep the original in the Student Notebook required for practicum. Attend the Practicum Orientation --always on the Thursday evening prior to the first Saturday class date of the semester. It is usually held in Quick Lecture Hall at 6:00 PM .
- Students in the courses CSL 5447 (Internship in CO I), or MFT 5457 (Internship in MFT I) (200/80 hours) will also have to submit a new Site Summary (MFT) (Counseling) even if the site is the same as your practicum. All will have to submit a new signed Internship Contract Agreement. (Use correct dates per Saturday cycle) Deadline: three weeks prior to beginning the semester. This contract covers all three semesters of internship. Attend each semester’s Practicum Orientation session --always on the Thursday evening prior to the first Saturday class date of the semester. It is usually held in Quick Lecture Hall at 6:00 PM.
Practicum and Internship Forms
Click here for a complete list of forms
Please contact Jan Harvey with any questions or comments about your Graduate Counseling practicum or internship experience.
Jan Harvey, LMFT
Clinical Coordinator/ Community Liaison