Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
B.A., 1981, Trevecca Nazarene University
M.A., 1983, Auburn University
Ed.D., 2005, Trevecca Nazarene University
Lena teaches undergraduate students in speech and interpersonal communication. She particularly enjoys teaching Speech Communication, Research Methods in Communication Studies, Oral Interpretation, Nonverbal Communication, Human Relations in Organizations, and Interpersonal Communication.
Her research interests include academic dishonesty and plagiarism in higher education, and she has published in the Journal of College and Character. In 2011 she authored a chapter in Telos: The Destination for Nazarene Higher Education, entitled " The Social Scientist at Nazarene Institutions: Teacher, Practitioner, and Scholar." She is a member of the National Communication Association and Southern Speech Communication Association. Increasingly her professional time is devoted to academic administration.
Lena grew up in Conway, Arkansas, and remains an enthusiastic Arkansas Razorback fan ("Whooo Pigs Sooooeee"). She enjoys hanging out at home with her husband, Steve, and two pugs, Wesley and Clarabelle. The Welches are active members of Trevecca Community Church of the Nazarene. Lena’s hobbies include gardening, reading, and performing in community theatre.
Speaking Engagement Topics
- "Honest, I'd never cheat." Exploring issues of academic honesty in college [Education Topics]
- Building confidence in conflict management [Counseling, Psychology, and Interpersonal Relationships]
- Empowering students and faculty through undergraduate research [Education Topics]
- Is anybody listening? Improving your interpersonal listening skills [Communication]
- Presidential concession speeches: The rhetoric of victorious defeat [Communication]
- Speaking with power and purpose: Improving your public speaking skills [Communication]
- Successful public speaking: The basics [Communication]
- The unspoken dialogue: Understanding nonverbal communication [Communication]
- Understanding and using nonverbal communication [Communication]