- Books can be located from the library Web site
- The online catalog or PAC allows you to search by author, title, subject, and keyword.
- History circulating books are shelved in the “D” for History area, second floor of the library.
- ATHENA (accessed from the library web site) allows you to search several other middle Tennessee libraries’ holdings with one search question. A courier service allows a patron to retrieve a book from ATHENA within 5-7 working days. Requests can be made online from the TNU library web site.
- WorldCat allows you to search over 10,000 libraries worldwide.
- eBooks integrate over 85,000 full text eBooks into the library holdings. Many can be download to an eReader format and there is a small collection of audio books available.
Photocopies can be made of needed text. Some titles have duplicates in the stacks; it will be noted on the OPAC record as a copy.
The Great Books of the Western World - AC 1 .G72
Loeb Classical Library Greek Authors- PA 3612
Latin Authors - PA 6156
Annals of America Ref E 173 .A793
The Cambridge Ancient History Ref D 57.C252 V. 1-13
The Cambridge Medieval History Ref D 117 .C3 V. 1-9
The Cambridge Modern History Ref D 208 .C16 V. 1-13
Dictionary of American History Ref E 174 .D52 V. 108
Dictionary of Historic Documents Ref D 9 .K63
European Historical Statistics 1750-1970 Ref HA 110 .M5
Historical Statistics of the U.S.: Colonial times to present Ref HA 202.H57
Timetables of History Ref D 11 .G78
American National Biography Ref CT 213 .A68
Dictionary of National Biography Ref DA 28 .D47 V.1-22
McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of World Biography Ref CT 103 .M27
All transactions for ILL are handled through the Interlibrary Loan Services Librarian. Complete an online form on the library Web site following the ILL link on the menu. Allow 7-10 days for the requested book to arrive and 7 days for article reprints. Items are sent to the Library for pickup.
Journal Article Reprints: If a journal is unavailable at TNU a reprint of it can be ordered using the online form off the web site. There is no cost. Many cases the article will be sent as a PDF to your email. Allow 5 days for delivery of the article.
If you are searching by subject:
* Looking for databases by subject displays a subject list of databases
* Looking for databases by title browses an A-Z title list of databases
* Looking for an e-journal by title limits you to browsing only e-journals accessible online
History Related Database Descriptions
- American History in Video provides the largest and richest collection of video available online for the study of American history, with 2,000 hours and more than 5,000 titles on completion.
- Films on Demand collection includes interviews and documentaries.These titles are integrated into the Waggoner catalog.
Primary Source Research
- African American History Online full text access to thousands of cross-referenced entries (primary sources, images, video, maps, time lines and articles) on African-American history, sponsored by Facts on File.
- HeritageQuest is an essential collection of unique material for both genealogical and historical researchers, with coverage dating back to the late 1700s. HeritageQuest Online includes all of the images, and extensive indexing, from the 1790 - 1930 U.S. federal censuses. It offers more than 20,000 book titles, including nearly 8,000 family histories and over 12,000 local histories. Additionally, there are more than 250 primary-source documents such as tax lists, city directories, probate records, and more.
- Tennessee Landmark Documents - Significant records in the formation and early history of Tennessee are presented here for the first time in digital form taken directly from the originals, with full transcription and accompanying historical text. These Landmark Documents are available for citizens and students to search, study, and download.
- Tennessee Virtual Archive (TeVA) A digital repository of Tennessee history and culture created by the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The mission is to bring electronic versions of the state’s rich collections to a wider audience. TeVA provides a searchable array of historical records, photographs, documents, maps, postcards, film, audio & other original materials of value.
- ProQuest Central Full Text articles. Interdisciplinary databases but has these modules relating to history:
- Southern Life 1980 - present - full-text articles on topics that relate directly to Southern living, both past and present, including people, places, historical events and more
- Gale Cengage a collection of Full Text Gale Cengage databases, some subject related collections include:
- U. S. History Collection From Gale Cengage -over 40 journals provides balanced coverage of both the current thoughts and events in US History, as well as scholarly work being established in the field; useful both to the novice historian and to the advanced academic researcher.
- World History Collection From Gale Cengage - provides balanced coverage of both the current thought and events in World History, as well as scholarly work being established in the field; useful both to the novice historian and to the advanced academic researcher. Different range of titles than the U.S. History Collection.
Primary sources include original works of an author--novels, poems, short stories, autobiographies, diaries, and firsthand reports of observations or research. Many books and journal articles are considered primary sources. In addition, primary sources materials may be found in the following:
Trevecca University Archives
- Papers, ranging from vitae and resumes to research notes, news clippings, publications and photographs, of individual faculty and staff.
- Articles documenting the activities and views of various student groups taken from campus newspaper The Trevechoes and magazine The Treveccan
- Reports, publications, and other media produced by faculty, students, and University departments responsible for developing and disseminating campus and external communication.
Original Source Material
Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy
Gallica: Digital Library of the National Library of France