Books and the online catalog
- Books are located through the library Web site
- The online catalog allows you to search by author, title, subject, and keyword.
- Literature and criticism books are shelved in the 'P' category on the second floor of the library.
- Search Area Libraries link from the library web site allows you to search several other libraries’ holdings with one search question. Requests for resources can be made online from the TNU library web site.
- eBook collections integrate over 85,000 full text eBooks into the library holdings. Download options are available.
- My Account saves and tracks your library transactions and is where you renew your checked out materials.
Call Numbers for this subject area
|PA||Classical Languages and literature||PR||English Literature|
|PN 80-99||Literature-Criticisms||PS||American Literature|
|PN 1010||Literature-Poetry||PT||Germanic Literature|
|PN 3311||Literature- Prose, Fiction||PN 6080||Quotations|
Photocopies can be made of needed text as reference books are not available for check out. Some titles have duplicates in the stacks; it will be noted on the PAC record as a copy. This abbreviated list of sources is used for quick information. Many print reference books are also part of online collections such as the Literature Resource Center. The OPAC will provide links for online resources as well as call numbers for print resources.
|Cyclopedia of World Authors||Ref PN 451 .M36|
|Literature Criticism from1400 to 1800 (Gale)||Ref. PN 86 .L53|
|European Authors, 1000-1900||Ref PN 451 .K8|
|Masterplots II: American Fiction Series||Ref PN 846 .M37|
|Granger's Index to Poetry (7th edition)||Ref PN 1022 .G7|
|Hispanic Literature Criticism||Ref PQ 7081 .A1 H573|
|American Women Writers||Ref PS 147 .A42|
African American Writers
|Ref PS 153 .N5 A344|
Twentieth Century Sc ience Fiction Writers
ience Fiction Writers
Ref PS 374 .S35 T89
eBooks or Online Book Collections
eBook collections integrate over 85,000 full text eBooks into the library holdings. Many can be download to an eReader format and there is a small collection of audio books available.
Bartleby.com publishes the classics of literature, nonfiction, and reference free of charge for the home, classroom, and desktop of each and every Internet participant.
The Poetry Tool finds poems in full text and finding articles about poetry and poets, includes podcasts and audio versions of poems. Can be searched or browsed by category, occasion, geographic area, first line, time period, or popularity.
Project Gutenberg seeks to put more than 10,000 paper editions of classics in the public domain into electronic format.
Perseus Classics Collection provides an integrated collection of materials, textual and visual, on the Archaic and Classical Greek world as well as the Roman world with additional art and archaeology materials and new collections of Latin texts and tools.
Internet Classics Archive
user-driven commentary and "reader's choice" Web sites. Mainly Greco-Roman works (some Chinese and Persian), all in English translation.
Online account information is provided exclusively for Trevecca Nazarene University. Our license agreements permit use of databases only by Trevecca faculty and students. Please help us maintain the integrity of our licensure agreements by not sharing access with family, coworkers, and friends.
Searching by journal title:
Searching by journal title:
From the library homepage, enter the name of the journal in the search box near the top. Change the tag to read “Journal Title” then enter. If your journal is full text in one of our databases the result will include a link to the database where you can access the full text. If there were no hits you can complete online an ILL form requesting a journal article reprint. Allow 7 days for receipt of the reprint.
Searching by subject:
Electronic Resources Link: You can select a general database or peruse by field of study a list of subscriber databases and Internet sites. Accessing databases off campus access requires you to provide your name and the ID number from your student ID. A list of databases can be viewed by title or by subject area.
- JSTOR - The fifty-eight titles in the Language & Literature Collection span the literary cultures of many different countries and provide full text backfile; this is not a current database.
- Literature Resource Center full text articles, books and critiques, probably the most comprehensive resource.
- Gale's Literary Index - the master index to the major literature products published by Gale. It combines and cross-references over 165,000 author names, including pseudonyms and variant names, and listings for over 215,000 titles into one source. Some titles are part of the Waggoner Collection.
- African American History Online is a full text databases providing information on African American authors and literary time periods such as the Harlem Renaissance.
- Humanities Module - From ProQuest: Search all humanities titles on subjects such as communication, history, journalism, literature, philosophy, religion and more
- Gale/Info Trac, use one of the online interdisciplinary databases, such as Academic OneFile. In a subject search, you may start out with a broad topic. You will have categories listed from which you can narrow your search.
- ProQuest, type in specific topic. You can limit your online search to scholarly journals only that provide you with a result list of scholarly and more relevant articles.
- Scribner's Writers Series -part of the Info Trac collection of databases. Scribner Writers Series includes 15-20 page signed essays on more than 2,000 authors and literary genres drawn from the acclaimed Scribner print series.
- Southern Life, has many articles related to southern literature and authors.
- The Twayne Authors Series - Twayne World, English, and US Authors - part of the Info Trac collection of databases. Comprises 600 full-text titles from the Twayne Literary Masters series, 200 each from Twayne World, US, and English Authors. Most of these titles are a part of the main collection and can be checked out.
with your name and the 11 digit barcode number from your student I.D.
- African Literature
- American Authors
- Classics Collection Page
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
- Great Writers and Poets
- Irish Literature, Mythology, Folklore, and Drama
- Latino/Hispanic Literature
- The Literary Gothic
- IPL: Literary Criticism
- Poetry Portal
- Project Gutenberg
- Romantic Circles
- Song of Roland
- Southern Literature
- Yahoo Arts & Humanities, Literature links
- Victorian Women Writers Project
- Achebe, Chinua
- Borges, Jorge Luis
- Cervantes, Miguel de
- Dorr, Lawrence
- Faulkner, William
- France, Marie de (12th c)
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang Von
- Ibsen, Henrik (1828-1906)
- Kafka, Franz (1883-1924)
- Mahfouz, Naguib
- Resnais, Alan
- Sophocles (c.496 B.C.E.-406 B.C.E.)
- Xun, Lu (1881-1936)