- Books are located through the library Web site
- The online catalog allows you to search by author, title, subject, and keyword.
- Medical books are shelved in the 'Q' category (Science) or 'R' (Medicine), on the second floor of the library.
- Search Area Libraries link from the library web site allows you to search several other library catalogs with one search question.ILL Requests can be made online.
- eBooks - over 85,000 full text eBooks are integrated into the library holdings. Many can be download to an eReader format and there is a small collection of audio books available.
- My Account saves and tracks your library transactions and is where you renew your checked out materials.
Searching the Online Catalog
Keyword VS Subject Searching Keywords are searched by the database simply by matching the spelling of the word/phrase-NO meaning is attached. Searching by subject (or author and title) will attach a meaning to the spelling creating a better result list. If you cannot find any titles after searching by subject, enter your terms in as a keyword search. This will broaden the search.
Advanced Search provides access to search by Call Number, by type of resource (DVD), options to limit your search (date) and Electronic Journal Titles as well as basic search options of Author, Title, Keyword and Subject.
Search Area Libraries If you need book materials to supplement the TNU collection, click on the Search Area Libraries link on the Library web page. This virtual online catalog provides access to several local area libraries including Trevecca, MTSU, Vanderbilt, Nashville Public Library, and TSU. Retrieved titles can be ordered online for no cost. They will be couriered to Trevecca for pickup. If you are residing in the Nashville area or taking classes on campus, you will be asked to come to campus for pickup. If you are residing outside the Nashville area and are on clinical rotations materials will be mailed directly to you. Please communicate location to the ILL librarian when request is made. There is no cost for this service.
OPAC Result List The subject search result list appears in the order a record was entered into the catalog. Keyword search results are sorted by copyright date, reverse order. The holdings line provides call number as well as indicates whether a book has been checked out by using the phrase “No copies available.” Reference books also indicate “No copies available” since they cannot be checked out. Photocopies can be made of needed pages. Also included in the library holdings are e-books from netLibrary which are indicated by the phrase [electronic resource] in the title line.
Checking out/Renewing library books These are checked out at the Main Desk with a maximum of fifteen books and are due back in four weeks. Your TNU I.D. card serves as your library card. Books cannot be checked out from the Web site but can be renewed online. From the library home page click on the “My Account” link on the menu. Follow instructions to view your account. The renew link will appear on the screen. Books cannot be renewed if they are overdue. Call 615.248.1214 for assistance or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This abbreviated list of sources is used for quick information. Photocopies can be made, as reference books are not available for check out. Some of these titles are available on the Internet. See Suggested Internet Sites below for links.
- Miller-Keane Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, & Allied Health Ref R 121 .M65
- The Physician Assistant Medical Handbook Ref R 697. P45P484
- Medicine for the Practicing Physician Ref RC 46. M477
- The Merck Manual Ref RC 55.M4
- Current Diagnosis & Treatment Ref RC 71.C97
- Davis’ Drug Guide for Nurses Ref RM 301.12.D44
Locating professional journal articles
If you are searching by subject:
Electronic Resources Link: Click on the ‘Electronic Resources’ link, then choose either
* Looking for databases by subject displays a subject list of databases
* Looking for databases by title browses an A-Z title list of databases
* Looking for an e-journal by title limits you to browsing only e-journals accessible online
Databases are accessed from the library homepage, 'Electronic Resources' link.
UpToDate is evidence-based and uses a literature-driven updating system; more than 440 journals are monitored by editors and authors, and anytime something of importance is published, it is incorporated into the program. The key word here is "incorporated." UpToDate is not a journal watch. New studies are not simply added; rather they are placed in the context of what has already been published in that field. It is comprehensive and current, keeping you informed of the latest clinical findings.
PubMed Central is the full text component of the online PubMed. This is a free resource.
Medline ® this premier database provides citations and abstracts in the medical field. Searchable using MeSH through 'Search Options'. Journal full text content is indicated as well as links to ILL. Also accessible via Web through PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed
MD Consult – requires individual student login provided by TNU PA department. Provides depth of information from books, journals, clinics as well as patient information. Link is accessible from the Electronic Resources webpage, login is required and provided by the PA department, not the library.
Pharmaceutical News Index - pharmacological news, research, regulatory information,
Health and Medical Complete: information on physical or mental health from hospital administrators to medical professionals to consumers. The database provides coverage from leading health journals and essential medical journals in key medical specialties.
Health Module provides information on physical and mental health. Includes coverage of medical conditions, substance abuse, insurance, health policy and more.
Health Reference Center Academic: Multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals plus a wide variety of personal health information sources.
Health and Wellness Resource Center: Provides instant access to carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials. Includes nearly 400 health/medical journals & over 700 health videos from partner Healthology, Inc.
Nursing and Allied Health Collection - from direct patient care to health care administration includes nearly 400 titles.
Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine: over 100 titles covering the fields of physical therapy and sports medicine.
All transactions for ILL are handled through the Interlibrary Loan Services Librarian and can be done by email or online. Complete an online form on the library Web site following the ILL link on the menu. Allow 7-10 days for the requested book to arrive and 7 days for article reprints. Items are sent to the Library for pickup. If you are residing in the Nashville area or taking classes on campus, you will be asked to come to campus for pickup. If you are residing outside the Nashville area and are on clinical rotations materials will be mailed directly to you. There is no cost for this service.
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- BMC Nursing
- The Internet Journal of Advanced Nursing Practice
- Journal of American Academy of Physician Assistants
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Anatomy Atlases
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, travel notices, national health statistics
- Hardin MD (Hardin Meta Directory)
- Martindale’s Health Science Guide
- Medical Student.com
- Merck Manuals
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Pediatric Radiology
- PubMed Central
- PubMed, Medline
- Radiology Education
- RxList: Internet Drug Index
- Tennessee Department of Health
- U.S. Dept. of Heath & Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Treatment Guides
- Virtual Pediatric Hospital