Music and Fine Arts
- Books are located through the library Web site.
- The online catalog allows you to search by author, title, subject, and keyword.
- Music related books are shelved in the 'M' category and Fine Arts related books are n the 'N' category on the second floor of the library.
- Search Area Libraries link from the library web site allows you to search other libraries’ holdings with one search question. Requests can be made online from the TNU library web site for books or articles.
- eBooks integrate over 85,000 full text eBooks into the library holdings. Many can be download to an eReader format and there is a small collection of audio books available.
Subject headings in the online catalog
Music; Music—19th century (or 18th, 17th, etc.); Music—History and criticism; Music—Instruction and study; Music—Theory; Copyright—Music; Church music; Composers; Instrumental music; Music appreciation; Musicians; Piano; Sound; Voice
Music—Economic aspects; Music—Vocational guidance
Sound recording industry
Art; Art—History; Art, Greek (or other nationality); Artists; Art appreciation; Architecture; Painting
Call Numbers: Using Library of Congress Classification system, the call number indicates the location of books on the shelves. Circulating books are on the second floor.
M - MUSIC & BOOKS ON MUSIC
N - FINE ARTS
|M Instrumental and vocal music||N Visual arts|
|ML Literature on music||ND Painting|
|ML 410…Composer biographies||NK Decorative arts|
|MT Musical instruction and study||NX Arts in general|
Other formats in the library besides books include DVD's, CD’s, and music scores. These are all in the PAC. To limit your PAC search to find DVD's only, type in your topic plus “and videorecording” (i.e. piano and videorecording). The same method can be used to retrieve scores (“and score”), CD’s (“and sound recording”), and boxes (“and box”) from the OPAC.
The Grove's online resource is available from the Databases page of the library web site. Below is an abbreviated list of print sources used for quick information. Photocopies can be made, as reference books are not available for check out. Some recommended titles are:
Oxford Music Online including New Groves Dictionary of Music and Musicians Online
Universally acknowledged as the unsurpassed authority on all aspects of music. This can be accessed in the library, from campus labs, and off-campus. It provides full text of the print edition with expanded search capabilities including the New Grove Dictionary of Opera.
Garland Encyclopedia of World Music (6 vols. to date)
Ref. ML 100 .G16
|Encyclopedia of World Art (17 vols.) Ref. N 31. E4833|
|The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians (29 vols.) Ref. ML 100 .N48||
Mc-Graw Hill Dictionary of Art (5 vols.)
Ref. N 33 .M23
|The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (4 vols.) Ref. ML 102 .O6 N5||The History of World Sculpture Ref. NB 60. B3813|
Baker’s Biographical Dictionary of Musicians Ref. ML 105 .B16
Encyclopedia of Painting
If you know the journal title:
From the library homepage enter the journal title in the search box near the top. Change the tag to read “Journal Title” then enter. If your journal is full text in one of our databases the result will include a link to the database where you can access the full text or indicates bound, back issues or microfilm availability. If there were no hits you can complete online an ILL form requesting a journal article reprint.
If you are searching by subject:
Electronic Resources Link: Click on the ‘Electronic Resources’ link, then choose either
* Looking for databases by title browses an A-Z title list of databases
* Looking for an e-journal by title limits you to browsing only e-journals accessible online
Accessing databases off campus access requires you to provide your name and the 11 digit ID number from your student ID.
From ProQuest: Search all arts titles on subjects such as arts, dance, theater, cinema and more. This module is a part of the ProQuest General Reference.
provides full text from selected journal titles, book reviews, essay links, monographs, and dissertations in the broad topic of religion. Included here are citations to church music, worship, and choral music.
General Reference Center Gold
A general interest database that integrates a variety of sources in one easy-to-use interface. Use General Reference Center Gold to find articles from newspapers, reference books, and periodicals, many with full-text and images. Find the l atest current events, popular culture, business and industry coverage, the arts and sciences, sports, hobbies, and more.
IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) Source
IPA Source is the web's largest library of International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions and literal translations of opera arias and solo art songs. Now with over 2250 texts!
Music and Fine Arts Collection
With more than 100 full-text magazines and journals covered in databases such as the Wilson Art Index and RILM, this collection will provide your students with resources to support research in areas such as drama, music, art history, and film making.
Naxos Music Library a listening library of a diverse collection of works.
the home of Grove Music Online Universally acknowledged as the unsurpassed authority on all aspects of music the GMO is an enhanced online version of the highly recommended print version.
ProQuest Central is the largest multidisciplinary database with over 12,665 titles, with over 9,745 titles in full-text. It serves as the central resource for researchers at all levels in all marke ts.
- allmusic - AMG
- American Music Resource
- Art History Resources on the Web
- Billboard - charts
- The British Museum
- Center for Black Music Research
- Classical Music Home Page
- Cyber Hymnal
- Historic American Sheet Music Project
- Instrument Encyclopedia
- Internet Public Library: Music History 102: a Guide to Western Composers and their Music from the Middle Ages to the Present
- Louvre Museum Official Website
- Medieval and Renaissance Instruments
- Music Archive for the Pacific
- National Association for Music Education
- National Association of Teachers of Singing
- National Gallery of Art
- The National Portrait Gallery
- San Francisco Symphony: Education & Community
- Yahoo! Entertainment>Music
Reference Desk - 615.248.1570 Main Circulation Desk - 615.248.1214 IRC Desk - 615.248.1205
*Committed professionals *Effective communication *Supportive technology *User-centered service