The Operation Andrew Group "exists to unite and encourage the body of Christ for furthering the gospel in word and deed throughout the community to the glory of God."
The criteria for the Pastor of the Year Award are as follows:
The recipient must
1. Have served in ministry for a minimum of 25 years with 20 of those years as pastor of a local church.
2. Have served in the greater Nashville area for at least 15 years with 5 as pastor of a local church.
3. Have demonstrated a consistent godly character and lifestyle throughout his/her life.
4. Have demonstrated a vision for the work of the gospel, extending beyond a specific congregation or denomination.
5. Be widely recognized as a leader who has had a positive impact on a community.
According to representatives of Operation Andrew, Dr. Reed was chosen as the first to receive this award because of his faithful service in Greater Nashville for a significant period of time, his leadership, godly character, and his impact on the area for the glory of God and the strengthening of God's kingdom.