The historical connection between Lincoln College of Technology and Trevecca Nazarene University was celebrated on May 14, 2013, with the erection of a plaque on Lincoln’s campus, a plaque which explained the history. Lincoln College, formerly Nashville Auto Diesel College, is located on what was at one time the Percy Warner Estate; its main building faces Trevecca Avenue. From 1914 to 1932, that property had been the campus of Trevecca College.
Trevecca had purchased the Percy Warner Estate when the school had outgrown the building located at 125 4th Avenue in downtown Nashville which it had occupied soon after its founding in 1901. Trevecca purchased the estate, which then consisted of 80 acres, for the sum of $60,000.
Administrators of Trevecca had determined that they could recoup part of the purchase price by selling part of the acreage as building lots to parents who wanted to send their children to school at Trevecca. The school would retain the front 15 acres for its campus. S. W. Strickland, a colleague of J. O. McClurkan, the founder of Trevecca, later described walking with McClurkan over the “criss-crossing dirt roads” on the estate.
Later those roads were paved and named for persons who were important in the history of Trevecca and in the Pentecostal Mission, the church where McClurkan was the pastor. (Today that church is First Church of the Nazarene, located at 510 Woodland Street.) McClurkan Avenue, which is along one side of the Percy Warner home, was named for J. O. McClurkan, and Emmet Avenue was named for McClurkan’s son by the same name. Strouse and Brasher Avenues were named after well-known preachers of that day.