"We're all connected to social justice. It flows through every major."
The Social Justice Program at Trevecca can give you the skills and training you need to live out your spiritual calling to serve others through specific areas of study.
The social justice studies offer a liberal arts major/minor that will engage you in a core, interdisciplinary curriculum that captures insights from the fields of business, law, sociology, social work, science, and religion. Our program pulls together concepts from biblical theology, Christian ethics and human rights and emphasizes on restoration (spiritually, physically and emotionally) for the oppressed and marginalized.
Our small classes and expert professors and instructors ensure that your educational experience will be authentic and personal. You’ll learn from those truly practicing what they teach.
Located in the heart of Nashville, our students have the opportunity to volunteer, intern and get involved in a growing community. Our partnerships with non-profits, social services and local churches provide our students with a launching point for engaged learning and preparation for their futures.
You can then choose one of three social justice concentrations to gain marketable skills:
Non-Profit and Congregational Leadership
Gain practical skills in non-profit management and community engagement for leadership roles as an outreach director at a church or a staff member at a non-profit agency.
Analyze public policies and the political process for advancing the common good—preparation for law school or for work in the government,social welfare agencies, or research institutions.
Acquire technical skills through hands-on applications in environmental science—preparation for graduate school and/or careers as environmental advisors in government agencies or corporations or as staff members of local, state, or national agencies responsible for protecting the environment.
Other classes offered include the following:
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Non-Profit Administration
- Special Projects in Environmental Justice
- Community Development
- Urban Restoration Ecology
- Biblical Theology of Social Justice
- Economics of Poverty and Public Policy
Location: Arts Annex
- BA, Eastern Nazarene College, 1995
- MDiv, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1999
- MSW, University of Kansas, 2005
- BA, Olivet Nazarene University, 1983
- MA, Vanderbilt University, 1997
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 1997
- BS, Trevecca Nazarene University, 1975
- MS, Tennessee State University, 1985
- EdD, Tennessee State University, 1998
Mary Ann Meiners
- BSFS, Georgetown University, 1975
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 1988
- BA, Trevecca Nazarene University, 1985
- MA, Wheaton Graduate School, 1987
- MA, Fuller Theological Seminary, 1992
- PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2011
- BS, Trevecca Nazarene University, 1996
- MS, Middle Tennessee State University, 1999
- MLAS, Vanderbilt University, 2000
- MA, Vanderbilt University, 2002
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 2008
- Trevecca announces 2014 Social Justice Conference speakers
- Trevecca groups learn and serve around the globe
- Awards chapel recognizes student accomplishments
- Music groups learn civil rights history on spring tour
- Trevecca senior goes to Washington to learn about immigration reform
- Trevecca’s Social Justice Center accepts leadership role with Nazarene Compassionate Ministries
- Trevecca social justice conference ignites passion for change
- Social justice conference this fall at Trevecca
- Trevecca hosts national launch of new book by alumnus
- Jamie Casler Featured on Engage Magazine
- Award presented to Rwandan social justice leader
- More updates from student mission trips
- Updates on student mission trips
- Earth Day at Trevecca
- Creation Care Conference
- Center for Social Justice hosts a 1-day intensive seminar
- Civil rights attorney Fred Gray speaks at Trevecca
- Social justice at Trevecca highlighted in CCCU feature story
- The Mockingbird Parables author speaks in chapel
- Community Work Day
- Micah Mandate launched
- Campus responds to Haitian emergency
- Social justice documentary highlights Trevecca
- Prayer, Worship, and Social Justice Conference held on campus