Join us online for a special day of connection and encouragement among the Trevecca community.
Due to unprecedented events related to the COVID-19 pandemic, Trevecca’s first 24-hour Giving Day, initially scheduled for April 16, has been postponed. Instead, we want to use this day to celebrate the special community that defines who we are at Trevecca.
We’re inviting employees, current students, alumni and friends of the University to participate in Giving Back Day. Join us in embracing the spirit of our University motto Esse Quam Videri—"to be rather than to seem.”
This day of thoughtfulness and giving is all about connection. While the pandemic is requiring us to socially distance from one another, it doesn’t prevent us from reaching out to neighbors and friends with acts of kindness and spiritual encouragement. Our hope is that Giving Back Day will provide an opportunity for the Trevecca community to live out our motto by intentionally engaging with students, alumni and friends.
Throughout the day on April 16, join with other Trevecca community members and check on each other, pray for one another and find tangible ways to live out the University’s motto in your own community! Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Stop by Trevecca's Alumni and Friends Facebook page and leave us a note. Giving Back Day is a chance to reconnect with fellow alumni, neighbors and friends as well as your alma mater. We’d love to hear how you are doing.
- Organize an online reunion. Zoom, Microsoft Teams and a variety of other technologies make it possible to “get together” even if you’re far apart! So use this day to reconnect with Trevecca friends and faculty.
- Support Trevecca’s Student Emergency Fund. This crucial fund assists students and their families affected by both the COVID-19 outbreak and the recent tornadoes.
- Get creative and share! Show us a video of you demonstrating a special skill that would be uplifting for our community to see, such as cooking, crafting, music and more. Share your favorite “quarantine” recipe or a meme that made you truly laugh out loud. Is your church doing something creative to minister during this time? Share it on our Facebook page! We want to see what you’re up to.
- Write a note of encouragement to a current college student who is now working remotely to complete semester coursework. Students in on-campus classes—whether bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral or degree-completion—may feel discouraged by the sudden switch to remote instruction. Reach out and encourage them! We’re all in this together, and our current Trevecca students may need to know you’re cheering for them.
- Participate in an online directed prayer time with other Trevecca community members. This will begin at 3:00 p.m. on Trevecca’s Alumni & Friends Facebook page today.
- Contact another alumnus or a former professor. This could be someone with whom you maintain regular contact or maybe someone you haven’t seen in years who made an impression on your life.
- Pick up groceries (or purchase a gift card) for someone in need. For many, COVID-19 has created unexpected expenses or even job loss. Anything you can give to help would be appreciated, so make today a day to make a difference.
- Make surgical masks for health care workers. You can use this pattern as a guide.
- Share a prayer request or respond to others' prayer needs. During Giving Back Day, we’re encouraging the Trevecca community to spend time in prayer for each other, for those affected by COVID-19 and for health care providers as well as those leading our communities, states and country.
- Offer your own Esse Quam Videri story. It could be how your church is helping feed the homeless or how your children are encouraging an elderly friend or family member. We want reminders of all the good that’s happening in our world! Share with us on Facebook.
Plan to view our social media channels throughout the day on April 16 for inspirational and fun messages. Contributors will include Trevecca President Dan Boone, University Chaplain Erik Gernand and other Trevecca personnel, alumni and students. This will also be an opportunity for you to share your personal Trevecca story and how the University’s mission of service and leadership has impacted you!