Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
University Mission Statement
Trevecca Nazarene University is a Christian community providing education for leadership and service.
The University is looking for spiritual, academic, and athletic leadership to provide direction, supervision, and operation of a successful men’s basketball program in keeping with the mission of Trevecca Nazarene University.
The head men’s basketball coach reports to the director of intercollegiate athletics.
- Lead the Men’s Basketball Team in our CHRISTIAN-SCHOLAR-ATHLETE philosophy. Expected to be the spiritual, academic, and athletic leader of the men’s basketball team, integrating the mission of the University into the program.
- Expected to be familiar with and abide by the rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association – Division II (NCAA D-II) and the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC).
- Responsible for planning, communicating, and executing all aspects of a competitive NCAA Division II men’s basketball program.
- Responsible for the management and administration of all team personnel (coaches and players), integration into the University mission, spiritual development, academic development, athletic development, and personal development.
- Responsible for recruiting student-athletes who fit the mission of the University and creating the culture for the men’s basketball team.
- Responsible for organizing and conducting practice sessions.
- Responsible for all game execution, management, and operations.
- Responsible for the academic progress of student-athletes, assisting in the development of each athlete’s 4-year graduation plan, and ensuring academic accountability by continually monitoring progress reports during the entire academic year.
- Responsible to know current Trevecca Nazarene University rules and policies.
- Responsible for team conduct and public image wherever and whenever they are under the coach’s jurisdiction. Team members are expected to adhere to behavioral expectations of the coach and University policy. Individual coaches should handle violations per University protocol and take the necessary disciplinary measures in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
- Responsible for fulfilling roster expectations and managing scholarship recipients in their sport with the approval of the Admissions Office, Director of Financial Aid , the Director of Compliance, and the Director of Athletics.
- Works with Director of Athletics on scheduling and is responsible for maintaining a file of game contracts for each season.
- Responsible for annually preparing a zero-based operational budget for their particular sport and ensures fiscal accountability by continually monitoring the budget during the year.
- Expected to work with Compliance Director on all eligibility and compliance regulations.
- Expected to work with Sports Information Director for all internal and external communications such as team pictures, publicity, social media, and statistics for reporting to the G-MAC/NCAA and local media.
- Expected to work with Head Athletic Trainer and Sports Medicine representative as needed.
- Responsible for team travel - making appropriate reservations for transportation, hotel, and food service well in advance.
- Responsible for ordering equipment/supplies following proper athletic department and University policy and procedures.
- Responsible for an inventory of university-owned equipment / uniforms and for issuing and retrieving equipment / uniforms from players.
- Ensures the Administrative Assistant has all necessary and updated information immediately as it is received, on each student-athlete such as address, phone numbers, scholarships, eligibility, etc.
- Enhances professional growth by attending clinics, workshops, etc.
- Attend student-athlete assemblies, such as, Title IX, drug and alcohol education and domestic violence seminars when requested by Athletics Director.
- Submit in a timely manner all credit card reports, invoices, check requests, and expense reimbursements for approval by the Director of Athletics.
- Complete travel and excused absence form prior to leaving for away games or other trips and e-mail to Director of Athletics and Administrative Assistant when student athletes will be traveling or absent due to games 24-hours prior to departure.
- Attend department meetings, G-MAC meetings and conference calls, and NCAA Division II meetings and seminars. Follow-up on Conference and National information requests. Submit paperwork for All-conference, All-Americans, Scholar-Athletes, and special awards candidates.
- Expected to have an organized relationship with alumni and alumni groups of athletic interests.
- Clear any fund-raising activity with the Director of Athletics.
- Serve as a role model to the campus community in all areas of their life.
- Responsible for any other details of their sport or any other additional duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition) and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of Trevecca Nazarene University.
- Demonstrated experience and competence in the sport
- Ability to pass the annual NCAA Division II recruiting exam
- Ability to obtain and maintain current First Aid and CPR card
- Ability to obtain TNU driving certification
- Ability to use standard computer software
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s Degree
- Successful collegiate level head coaching experience
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
Interested parties who are in agreement with the mission and values of Trevecca Nazarene University should send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Please no agencies or telephone calls