The Department of Communication Studies at Trevecca Nazarene University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Graphic Design beginning in January or August 2024. This position places a strong emphasis on creativity, communication, and technology in graphic design education.
Trevecca seeks candidates with a strong Christian testimony and an unwavering commitment to Christ-centered teaching and learning. A passion for working with undergraduates is essential.
At Trevecca, we believe that diversity is a source of strength and innovation. We are committed to promoting and maintaining a diverse and inclusive community where all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. We encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, sex, age, disability, and veteran status.
- Develop and teach courses in graphic design. Depending on the candidate’s areas of expertise, teaching responsibilities may include introduction to graphic design, theory of visual communication, UX design, advanced layout and composition, digital illustration, web design, print design, motion graphics, branding and identity design, and other coursework.
- Foster a dynamic and inclusive learning environment that encourages critical thinking and a sense of belonging.
- Mentor and advise students in their academic and career development.
- Stay current with industry trends and emerging technologies in graphic design.
- Engage in scholarly and creative activities related to the field.
- Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum development and program improvement.
- Assist with student recruiting and administrative duties.
- Commitment to the mission of Trevecca Nazarene University
- MFA degree in Graphic Design or a related field. Consideration will be given to candidates holding a master’s degree and industry experience.
- A strong portfolio showcasing creative and innovative graphic design work
- Proficiency in industry-standard graphic design software and technologies, such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Teaching experience with diverse student populations
- Experience with in-person and online teaching
- Professional experience in graphic design or a related field
The Graphic Design program at Trevecca recently moved from the Department of Information Technology in the School of STEM to the Department of Communication Studies within the School of Arts and Social Sciences. This move reflects a shift in the focus of the program toward a communication-centered emphasis in multimedia, branding, visual messaging, and storytelling. In the Department of Communication Studies, Graphic Design joins programs like Film and Television, Multimedia Journalism, and Organizational Communication. A new curriculum is being designed for fall 2024, and the new faculty member will have significant input in developing and revising the curriculum in collaboration with other department members. In fall 2024, the Graphic Design program anticipates having 25+ students enrolled as majors.
Trevecca Nazarene University is an accredited private institution that exists to meet the educational needs of the Church of the Nazarene. Its academic programs are based on Christian values that promote scholarship, critical thinking, and meaningful worship for students in preparation for lives of leadership and service. The University is located on a beautiful and historic campus only minutes from downtown Nashville, Tennessee.
Application Materials: Interested candidates who are in accordance with the mission and values of Trevecca Nazarene University should submit the following materials:
Materials should be sent to:
Lena Hegi Welch, Ed.D.
Dean, School of Arts and Social Sciences
Professor of Communication Studies
Trevecca Nazarene University
333 Murfreesboro Road
102 Wakefield Building
Nashville, TN 37210
Salary commensurate with experience.