The School of Music and Worship Arts is looking forward to meeting incoming students at the July Encounter and August Orientation and giving them the opportunity to pursue their passions through the duration of their time as a Trevecca student. Encounter is the time to consider the various options and take first steps into majors and programs.
*Events are subject to change based on the status of COVID-19
2020 Fall Semester Encounter Dates: July 17-18
Friday, July 17
9-9:30 a.m.: School of Music and Worship Arts Informational Meeting
All School of Music students and parents are invited to attend this informational meeting in the Jackson Center for Music and Worship Arts with the faculty, staff, and peers with whom you will be spending the next four years. Department of Music Students (Commercial Music, Music Education, General, Songwriting, and Theory and Composition) and some Worship Arts students (in consultation with Dr. Sam Green) will have an opportunity to sign up for their placement tests at this time.
9:30 a.m.–12 p.m.: Placement Tests
These tests are required for all Department of Music Majors and for some Worship majors. The purpose of these placement tests is to help place students in the appropriate starting class in each area.
Requirements for the Placement Test:
- Theory Diagnostic is a test that will cover topics such as key signatures, time signatures, scales, and basic analysis.
- Piano Diagnostic to determine in which section of piano they should start.
- Applied Lessons (Performing Area) (Placement Options: Class guitar/piano, Elective lessons, Major-level lessons): Students will be placed based on their score on a performance rubric. The areas evaluated include basic technique, performance, level, and musicality. Each area has different requirements which can be found here.
10 a.m.–12 p.m.: Music Ensemble Auditions
Any student desiring participation in any vocal or instrumental ensemble(s) must audition in Jackson Center for Music and Worship Arts. Non-Major students are welcome to join ensembles. Auditions can be scheduled on Friday morning in the Administrative Office in the Jackson building. Below are the requirements of the auditions:
- Vocalists: sing a simple song, match pitch, sight read, and have their range checked
- Orchestral Instruments: play two short (30 seconds to a minute) excerpts of music – one lyrical and one technical, play scales, and/or sight read.
- Guitar and Bass Guitar: Separate auditions will be held September 5. For more information, please contact Jeff Cox, Director of Guitar and Bass Guitar studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact The School of Music and Worship Arts at 615-248-1288.
August Orientation dates are Thursday, August 27 – Monday, August 31 and will follow a similar schedule. More exact times will be posted closer to the event.