Trevecca Nazarene University’s Spring 2020 Commencement schedule will look a little different this year, thanks to changes meant to enhance the overall experience.
Commencement 2020 will now take place over the course of a week, stretching from April 24 to May 2. Graduate and doctoral students will be honored in separate degree-specific ceremonies in the days leading up to May 2. Undergraduates will graduate in an outdoor ceremony set for the morning of May 2.
Students in Trevecca's physician assistant graduate program will celebrate on July 31.
“Trevecca has experienced unprecedented growth in both our traditional and non-traditional (adult) programs,” said Dr. Tom Middendorf, University provost and senior vice president. “That growth produces more graduates, and we anticipate surpassing the 1,200 mark this spring. Total, we would anticipate between 7,500-8,000 people on campus for one event. A crowd that size puts a strain on facilities, parking and space within the Quad to accommodate everyone.”
Trevecca officials made the schedule changes out of a desire to better celebrate students’ achievements and live out the university’s core value of Christian community.
“In the end, we want to capture and maintain what we are known for—our Christian community,” Middendorf continued. “These ceremonies are a celebration. It is one of the greatest joys we experience as University employees—watching our students walk the stage and receive their degrees. We want to minimize the factors that could become a distraction to our students in this way.”
The university has previously celebrated Commencement in a single ceremony held on the first Saturday of May. Trevecca’s recent record enrollment growth contributed to the need for smaller, more intimate ceremonies meant to better honor and accommodate the graduates and their families.
“The changes to our graduation schedule will make for a better experience for everyone as there will be multiple ceremonies to celebrate our graduate students and one single graduation ceremony for all undergraduate students,” Middendorf said. “This will allow graduates to celebrate with their cohorts and classmates, while also minimizing the larger impact on the campus infrastructure.”
2020 Commencement dates and locations are:
- April 24: Graduation Counseling Commissioning and Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
- April 25: Graduate Business Commencement Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 9 a.m. This includes graduates in Trevecca’s Master of Science in management, Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in health care leadership and innovation.
- April 25: Doctor of Education in Leadership and Professional Practice Hooding and Commencement Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 1 p.m.
- April 25: Master of Organizational Leadership and Master of Arts in Religion Commencement Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 5 p.m.
- April 30: Graduate Education and Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology Hooding and Commencement Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
- May 1: Baccalaureate Worship Service, Boone Convocation Center, 7 p.m. This service is open to all graduates and their families.
- May 2: Undergraduate Commencement Convocation, The Quad, 9 a.m. This ceremony includes all traditional undergraduates as well as students graduating from non-traditional associate and bachelor’s programs. A full list can be found at Trevecca.edu/Commencement.
- July 31: Physician Assistant Commencement Convocation, Boone Convocation Center, 5:30 p.m.
For more information about Commencement and a full list of degrees awarded at each ceremony, please visit Trevecca.edu/Commencement.