- BA, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2003
- MA, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2006
- MDiv, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 2008
- PhD, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, 2014
- Systematic Theology
- Conducted his doctoral research on the interplay between Christian doctrine and moral formation
- How Can We Understand the Trinity? in Diane Leclerc and Mark Maddix, eds., Essential Beliefs: A Wesleyan Primer (Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2016).
- Uncovering Christ: Sexuality in the Image of the Invisible God in Beth Felker Jones and Jeffrey Barbeau, eds., The Image of God in an Image Driven Age: Explorations in Theological Anthropology (Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2016).
- Christian Discipleship in a Technological Age in Dan Boone, Charitable Discourse: The Uncomfortable Conversations (Kansas City, Beacon Hill Press, 2016).
- Eucharistic Participation: Holiness as the Relational Shape of Christian Moral Theology, Wesleyan Theological Journal (Spring, 2014).
- An Ethics of Participation: The Economy of the Trinity and the Shape of the Christian Moral Life (PhD Diss., 2014).
- Kings and Presidents: Politics and the Kingdom of God (Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2015).
- A Seat at the Table: A Generation Re-Imagining Its Place in the Church (Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2012).
- Politics, Participation, and the Missio Dei in Miroslav Volf and the Wesleyan Tradition, Wesleyan Theological Journal (Spring, 2012).
- Uncovering Christ: Sexuality in the Image of the Invisible God” at Wheaton Theology Conference, April 2014.
- Building Bridges: Why Theology Matters for Christian Education as Kansas City First Church of the Nazarene, September, 2015.
- Can Ethics Be Wesleyan?: Holiness Identity and Wesleyan Moral Theology at Wesleyan Theological Society, March 2014.
- The Duty of Constant Communion: Participation and Wesleyan Theology at Wesleyan Theological Society, March 2013.
- Just Justification?: Forgiveness With A Welcome in Al Truesdale, Wesleyan Foundations for Evangelism (The Foundry Publishing, 2018).
Timothy Gaines is associate professor of religion in the Millard Reed School of Theology and Christian Ministry at Trevecca. Ordained as an elder in the Church of the Nazarene, Tim has served in various pastoral capacities in Kansas City, Chicago, and California, and presently serves on the pastoral staff at Trevecca Community Church. As a research fellow at the Stead Center for Ethics and Values, he conducted research in the areas of energy, economics, and bioethics. He has published articles in several academic journals and contributed chapters to several books over various topics related to theology, ethics, and technology. His most recent book contributions are Following Jesus: Prophet, Priest, King and Kings and Presidents: Politics and the Kingdom of God. In addition to co-hosting "The Sermon Studio," a podcast dedicated to the art and craft of preaching, Tim is a frequent speaker at various denominational, district, university, and local church events.