COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. There are many types of coronaviruses, which are a common cause of bronchitis or lung infections (pneumonia). Symptoms can range from mild to severe.

COVID-19 was first found in Wuhan, China, in late 2019. In 2020, several cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the U.S., including several in Tennessee. COVID-19 is a rapidly emerging infectious disease that scientists are actively researching. For the latest information, visit the CDC website.  


Remote Learning

So, I’m an online student now. What does that even mean?  

Trevecca has made the difficult decision to move all face-to-face, on-campus classes to a remote, online instruction format for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester or until further notice for face-to-face students in our School of Graduate and Continuing Studies. What that means is that rather than coming to class at Trevecca, you’ll be logging in to Blackboard and engaging with your professors, classmates and the content of your class in a different way. Everything you’ll need to do and complete for your classes will be clearly outlined in Blackboard. You may watch video lectures or engage in class discussion boards, complete assignments, make presentations and more—everything you’d do in an on-campus class.  

Is it really necessary to move all classes to online-only?  

Yes, we believe it is. To help curb the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19, we believe it’s imperative that Trevecca cease large group gatherings of any kind. This includes a large on-campus residential population as well as individual class gatherings and is in accordance with the Safer at Home order issued by Nashville’s mayor, John Cooper, on March 22. By creating an instruction model that allows students to learn remotely, we decrease many of the factors that allow this virus to spread.   

I don’t have access to a computer. What do I do?  

We understand that moving to remote instruction at this point isn’t ideal. Please give Trevecca’s leaders, faculty and staff grace as we all work together to adjust to a new way of life. Blackboard is available on all devices, so you can complete your work on computers, laptops, tablets, phones and other smart devices. It’s also important to identify friends, neighbors or family members who may be able to help by allowing you to borrow a computer.

My internet is spotty at best. Are there any options? 

In addition, many providers are offering deals to equip students now finishing the semester remotely. In addition, Trevecca's provider, Comcast, has announced that students who do not currently have internet access, are not currently Comcast customers and live in a service area, can receive free internet access free for 60 days. More information available. For more information about services Comcast and other providers are offering during this time, check out our list. Reach out to or ITS Helpdesk (615-248-1223) with any technological issues.  

I need a particular program or software to complete my course. Will I have access?  

University officials are working to find options for programs and software that are required for some classes. Students are encouraged to reach out to their professors for more information.  

I can’t remember where to go to log in to Blackboard. How do I do that?  

We know this change is overwhelming, which makes it easy to forget things. Simply go to Click on “Student and Faculty Login.” If prompted, enter your full Trevecca email and password. If you have any trouble, make sure you’re using an approved browser. (We recommend Google Chrome and Firefox.) You may also want to try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. As always, feel free to reach out to or ITS Helpdesk (615-248-1223) with any issues.

What about attendance? 

As we move to this remote learning model, attendance will be more about participation. That means that you log in to Blackboard and do the work assigned to you, whether that’s reading a chapter, taking a quiz or listening to a lecture. If your professor chooses to use the discussion board for your class, you would need to take part in that conversation. Professors will count you as present and participating if you are taking part in the class and completing your assigned work.

What if I have accommodations, such as an assigned notetaker or extended time on tests?  

If you have accommodations through the Office of Disability Services, your professors are aware and will work with you to ensure that you have what you need to succeed in your course. Please reach out to your professors. Students are also encouraged to contact Michelle Gaertner, associate dean of student success, with concerns or questions.


Traditional Undergraduate

Trevecca announced online-only, remote learning will continue through the rest of the semester. Do I need to move out of my room or on-campus apartment ?

Residential students who are not currently on campus have the option to retrieve personal belongings and move out from now until April 5. Students who are not on campus currently, can sign up for a time to pick up their belongings using this form. A maximum of two guests are allowed to assist in this process during your time slot. Students who cannot or do not wish to return to campus during this time may keep personal belongings on campus until further notification from Ronda Lilienthal, associate dean of students for residential life. Any student considering traveling to campus to retrieve belongings should stay updated on any travel restrictions and recommendations from the CDC. Any travel back to campus is subject to local, state and federal regulations. Please keep your personal and community safety and wellbeing in mind as you make plans.   


What about Easter Break? 

To give you time to focus on the sacredness of Good Friday and celebrate Easter, faculty members will refrain from making assignments due on Good Friday – Easter (April 10-12).


What if I’m already back on campus?

Only residential students with permission to remain on campus should do so at this time.


What if I'm on campus and want to have visitors? 

In line with public health guidelines outlined by the CDC and the White House, Trevecca officials are asking that students currently on campus keep visitors to a minimum. Residential students need to give a 12-hour notice to their residence director if they plan to have a visitor in their on-campus housing and no overnight visitors are allowed.


What about chapel?

Worship is a vital part of the Trevecca community. As classes move to an online-only format, the Office of the Chaplain will offer a series of videos to the Trevecca community centered on the theme of “How Christians Respond in Times of Crises,” plus a series of video devotionals and other tools for spiritual discipline. Credit will be given to students for chapels that were scheduled through the end of the semester during the online-only schedule.

I’m an athlete. What should I do?

On March 13, the Great Midwest Conference announced that all spring athletics competition and championships had been canceled. In addition, all team-related activities are suspended through April 6. Following that date, institutions will review and implement team-related activities at their discretion as permitted by NCAA legislation. The athletics department staff and coaches should already be in communication with athletes and can provide the most up-to-date information for athletes and their families. As all practices and scheduled games are canceled, student-athletes should return to their homes or permanent residences at this time.

What about planned campus events?

Currently, most on-campus events are canceled or rescheduled through April 15. Event planners will be communicating any cancellations or changes through email, social media and more. At this point, all Commencement events and ceremonies are postponed. We hope to invite everyone back to campus for a celebration in the future. 

What if I have scheduled times to take proctored exams in Academic Services? Can I still come to campus for those?

Students should reach out to Academic Services. This will likely be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Will the library and computer labs be open for me to come to campus and work?

Waggoner Library (the building) is closed until further notice, but library resources are available online 24/7.

Library help from librarians and library staff is available during our virtual library hours:

Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m.-4 .p.m
Sunday 4-10 p.m.

Help is available through chat or text (931-250-4898) or by leaving a voicemail (615-248-1214), which will be checked every few hours and calls will be returned. “Meet with a Librarian” appointments, which can be scheduled on the library’s website, are being offered through Zoom or phone. For any type of library assistance, even outside of scheduled virtual library help hours, email us at For the most updated information about library services, visit

What campus buildings will be open for students who are on campus?

  • The goal of moving to an online-only learning environment is to keep large crowds of people from gathering in any one place on campus. That’s why we’re discouraging any sort of large-scale event, in accordance with Nashville’s Safer at Home order issued by Mayor John Cooper on March 23. Some campus buildings will be available to students who are staying on campus. This includes Jernigan Student Center, and Bud Robinson as well as some administrative buildings during normal office hours. Only essential staff are working on campus at this point, so access to many buildings is restricted at this time.


Graduate and Continuing Studies 

I’m already in an online program. What does this mean for me?

Students already enrolled in 100 percent online programs have nothing to worry about. Your class will continue as planned.

I attend face-to-face classes at Motlow State Community College and Volunteer State Community College. How does this change my class schedule?

Students enrolled in Trevecca programs at other locations should follow the schedule of those institutions. Please reach out to your professor, advisor or program director with specific questions.

I’m supposed to defend my dissertation in person at Trevecca. What do I do?

Please contact your program director.  

I’m supposed to graduate this spring! Will this change Commencement plans?

Currently, Commencement 2020 is postponed. We hope to have a ceremony on campus in the near future but no date has been set yet.



I don’t have the book I need for my class. What do I do?

Students who don’t have access to their books can access VitalSource Helps, a program that provides students access to books from their classes through May 25 for free. Students may begin accessing these materials today at Students should have received an email outlining the details of the program. Students should contact their professors with questions about required materials for specific classes.


I need to return my books. What should I do?

Students are encouraged to return any physical book rentals they are finished with before they leave campus. Additionally, students should see if any physical materials they currently have are available on the free VitalSource Helps platform. If there is content available, students are encouraged to return those physical items to the campus store before leaving campus.


Learning Placement

Can I continue to participate in a learning placement if the placement site is open?

Yes. If students can travel to and from the placement site safely, they are encouraged to continue to participate. Students will, however, need to follow all local, state, and federal requirements that may impact their ability to travel going forward.


Can I stay on campus for my internship, practicum, clinical rotation, field placement or job?

At this point, Trevecca is discouraging students from staying on campus except those with extenuating circumstances. Students need to reach out to supervisors, field placement coordinators and leaders at their individual workplace or placement to make sure that these locations are open as well as how—or if—they should proceed. If possible, students should continue going to their learning placements.


My placement site is closed for the time being. What should I do?

It’s definitely good to reach out to your instructor or field placement director. If possible, you may be able to identify alternate sites where you can complete the hours. If you cannot finish your placement at your current site, cannot move to an additional site or need to finish your hours this spring due to a number of circumstances, it is best to talk with your supervising professor.


Trevecca Response

Does Trevecca have cases of COVID-19 on campus?  


What is the University doing to protect the campus community?  

Trevecca officials have created a task force of key University personnel who are carefully monitoring the situation. As with any public health concern, University officials have remained in close contact with local and state public health officials and are reviewing all guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). On March 11, Trevecca officials announced that spring break would be extended through March 17. The University subsequently announced that all instruction would move to a fully online, remote learning model for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester and until further notice for on-campus students in Trevecca’s School of Graduate and Continuing Studies.

Campus is currently closed to all but essential staff and residential students permitted to remain on campus. Any student returning to campus from out-of-state travel will be required to self-isolate for 14 days, per CDC guidelines. Since COVID-19 is rapidly evolving, guidelines and recommendations may change rapidly. Visit the CDC website for the most current recommendations.  

Campus events are currently canceled or postponed. The University will communicate decisions regarding Commencement and other events soon.

What if I’ve been in contact with someone infected with COVID-19 or think I may have symptoms of the infection?  

Anyone who has been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 or is exhibiting symptoms consistent with the infection should self-isolate and call the Trevecca Clinic, your personal physician, local clinic or ER before going in. We ask that these individuals also notify the University so they can be monitored and supported while recovering. Please do not come to campus if you are running a fever. 

For additional information on how to gauge your risk of COVID-19 infection, see the CDC website.

I’m feeling anxious, stressed and overwhelmed by the impact of COVID-19. Whom should I contact for help?  

Any student struggling with loss or anxiety should reach out to the Center for Student Development and the Trevecca Counseling CenterRead more.


About COVID-19

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?  

Symptoms may appear between 2-14 days after exposure to the virus and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms include fever, coughing and trouble breathing. If you suspect you have been exposed to COVID-19, it is recommended you call your doctor, local clinic or ER before going.  

How is COVID-19 diagnosed?  

Your health care provider will ask you about your symptoms, recent travel and contact with sick people. If your health care provider suspects you may have COVID-19, he or she will work with the local public health department and CDC for testing. The diagnosis is currently determined by a nasal and throat swab and/or a sputum culture.  

How is COVID-19 treated?  

As a rapidly emerging infectious disease, scientists are currently researching COVID-19 and working to develop a vaccine. Treatment currently focuses on supportive care designed to help your body fight the virus. Supportive care may include self-isolation, pain relief and rest. If symptoms are severe, patients may need hospital care, IV fluids and oxygen.  

Am I at risk for COVID-19?  

While cases of the illness have recently increased in the U.S., most people have a relatively low risk for infection. You are at an elevated risk if:  

You recently traveled to an area with a COVID-19 outbreak. 
Had contact with a sick person who recently traveled to an area affected by a COVID-19 outbreak. 
Had contact with someone who has been diagnosed with or may have COVID-19.  

Can COVID-19 be prevented?  

The best prevention is to not have contact with the virus. Avoid traveling to countries where there are current COVID-19 outbreaks. You can find the most current information regarding travel advisories on the CDC website.   

The best preventative measures are those you should take for every respiratory illness and consider everyday habits. This includes:  

Wash hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. This is one of the easiest, most effective ways to reduce the spread of viral infections. If soap and water is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.  
Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.  
Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick. If you are sick, avoid others.  
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or sleeve. If you use a tissue, immediately throw it away.  
Routinely clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces and objects.  

Stay home if you are ill.