The best preventative measures are those you should take for every respiratory illness and consider everyday habits. This includes:
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. This is one of the easiest, most effective ways to reduce the spread of viral infections. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick. If you are sick, avoid others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or sleeve. If you use a tissue, immediately throw it away.
- Routinely clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces and objects.
- Stay home if you are ill. Do not come to campus if you are running a fever. Notify your professor or supervisor if this is the case.
These practices will help to curb the spread of a number of viruses. For more information, visit the CDC’s guidelines.