This Semester in Chapel
Chapels are a time for the TNU community to gather for prayer, worship, bible teaching, and exploration of a life of faith in Jesus. This time is important for the formation of Trevecca both corporately and as individuals.
Our theme for the year is “Becoming…” where we will be exploring the dynamic process of identity formation and how the Christian story can be helpful in that process. We’re all in the process of “becoming” someone. Our hope is that this year can be a time of honest, intentional, reflection and engagement around the question, “Who am I becoming?” As we look to the scriptures for insight, our hope is that the vision God has for your life would be beautiful and compelling, trusting that “he who began a good work in you is faithful to complete it…” (Philippians 1:6).
We encourage you to engage as often as you can to be a part of what God is doing in these spaces. As a reminder, chapel is viewed as an important part of the learning/formation environment at Trevecca. Like classes, there is an attendance requirement for chapel. Each student is required to earn 24 credits/semester through attending chapels.
NOTE: To help students experience some flexibility, and to provide some relief in cases of quarantines due to COVID, we are giving everyone the option of earning 4 of their 24 credits virtually through the iAttended app this semester. Students who would like to earn some credits virtually should enter the code HSA1 into the app to unlock those options.
You’ll have around 46 opportunities to earn your 24 credits this semester through the following offerings:
- Monday Evenings @6pm – These chapels will take place in the Trevecca Community Church sanctuary and will be worship and teaching designed and led by members of our student leadership team.
- Tuesdays/Thursdays @9:30am – These chapels will take place in Boone and will feature a lineup of the University Chaplain and other guest speakers from on and off campus. In-person overflow space will be available for the first month of the semester in the TCC Sanctuary once we hit capacity in Boone. You can see the full chapel schedule here or on your iattended app.
- Spiritual Deepening Week – September 19-22 will be set aside for Spiritual Deepening with additional services. Our speaker for that week will be Dr. Richard Griffiths, pastor of Bethany Church of the Nazarene in New York.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be required to attend chapel this semester?
How do I earn credits for chapel?
In-Person attendance at chapel or virtually through the app (limited to 4 credits).
- In-Person: Download the iAttended app and login with your @trevecca.edu e-mail address. Be sure to enable notifications and Bluetooth. Each chapel will require you to “check-in” using one of three options through the app on your phone (Bluetooth, QR/Text Code, Exit Scan). Information about your progress, the chapel schedule, and other relevant chapel information will be available in the app.
- Virtually: Following live chapel events, the recordings of the chapel service will be available for up to two weeks following the chapel service. You may watch the service from within the app at any time during those two weeks to earn virtual credit.
Will masks be required for in-person chapels?
I have a question about chapel attendance.
Please direct all chapel attendance questions to the attendance team at email@example.com.
I have a question about chapel in general, or want to participate in chapel worship (instrument, singing, reading scripture, other creative elements, etc…).
Please click the button at the top of this page to apply for a volunteer worship position. Contact Erik Gernand for other general questions about chapel.
Will there be an exemption process if my circumstances make it difficult for me to make it to the required number of chapels?
The exemption process can be accessed at our Spiritual Life SharePoint site through the first two weeks of the semester only. There are very few reasons an exemption will be approved (less than 11 hours, commuter with no classes on T/TH, certain program internships). Please understand that chapel is an important part of the experience at Trevecca, and we expect students to attend. Questions about exemptions can be directed to Dean Lilienthal.
Will there be fines/suspensions for chapel non-participation?
Fines will be in effect for not meeting chapel requirements. Please see the Student Handbook for a description of the fine structure. Continued chapel non-participation over the course of more than one semester could result in probation and/or suspension.