- Professor, Chemistry
- Department of Science, Engineering and Mathematics
- B.S., Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- Ph.D., Oklahoma State University
BiographyRick received a B.S. in chemistry from Southwestern Oklahoma State University and a Ph.D. in chemistry from Oklahoma State University. His doctoral research involved preparation and surface modification of colloidal silica particles. After graduate school, he worked in the plastics research division of Phillips Petroleum Company where he developed silica-supported chromium catalysts used for the production of improved polyethylene plastic. He was selected as the runner-up for the Innovative Excellence Award at Phillips Petroleum, the highest award for excellence in research within the company. Rick eventually moved from industry to teaching where he has taught in the chemistry programs at MidAmerica Nazarene University and at Trevecca Nazarene University. During this time, he has received the Teaching Excellence Award.
Areas of Expertise
- Primarily teaches organic chemistry, biochemistry, Issues in Science, and physical science.
- Dr. Badley's Ph.D studies were under the direction of Dr. Warren T. Ford.
- Doctoral research involved the development and use of heterogeneous catalysts for polymerizations and organic reactions
- American Chemical Society
- Synthesis and Characterization of Silica-Bound Propanesulfonic Acids Chemically Modified Surfaces in Science and Industry; Eds: Leyden, D. E.; Collins, W. T.; Gordon and Breach: New York, 1989, pp. 209-219.
- Silica-Bound Sulfonic Acid Catalysts J. Org. Chem. 1989, 54, 5437-5443.
- Surface Modification of Colloidal Silica Langmuir 1990, 6, 792-801.
- Analysis of Surface Modified Colloidal Silicas Chemically Modified Oxide Surfaces; Eds: Leyden, D. E.; Collins, W. T.; Gordon and Breach: New York, 1990, pp. 295-303.
- Polymer Colloids as Catalyst Supports Polymer Latexes: Preparation, Characterization, and Applications; Eds: Daniels, E. S.; Sudol, E. D.; El-Aasser, M. S.; American Chemical Society: Washington, D. C., 1992, pp. 422-431.
- Siloxene-Supported Catalysts for Ethylene Polymerization J. Catalysis 1993, 141,524-532.
- Polymer Colloids as Catalyst Supports American Chemical Society Symposium Series: Preparation, Properties, and Applications of Polymer Latexes; M. El-Aasser, E. D. Sudol, and E. S. Daniels, Eds.
5,486,584 Chromium Catalyst Compositions
5,576,263 Chromium Catalyst Compositions and Ethylene Polymerization Processes Therewith
5,595,953 Chromium Catalyst Compositions
5,599,887 Chromium Catalyst Compositions and Ethylene Polymerization Processes Therewith
5,641,842 Ethylene Copolymerization Process
5,670,438 Catalyst Compositions and Catalytic Processes