The university seeks a dynamic, relational leader with a proven history of developing professionals and residential communities. The Associate Dean of Students for Residence Life serves as a key executive leader in the Center for Student Development and strategically assists the university in fulfilling its mission, vision, and goals. This Associate Dean oversees community accountability, residence life, housing, and student concerns. The Office of Residence Life oversees the residential experience for traditional undergraduate students at Trevecca. The University boasts four residence halls, six apartment complexes, and over 900 residential students on campus. This position will report directly to the Vice President and Dean of Student Development
Areas of responsibility for the Associate Dean include:
- Assist the vice president and dean of student development administration of community accountability standards and protocols at the university.
- Annually review and update the student handbook and community accountability policies and procedures.
- Select and train community accountability council members as outlined in the Student Conduct Procedures Handbook.
- Oversee the chapel exemption process. Communicate with students regarding their chapel exemption requests when needed.
Residence Life and Housing
- Recruit, retain, and develop a dynamic team of residence life professionals to support hall operations and community development.
- Supervise the hiring, training, development, and supervision of resident directors in campus residential areas.
- Advise the staff in the development and implementation of holistic residence hall programming.
- Work with the residence life staff to establish and maintain a residence hall environment that is conducive to holistic development and academic excellence.
- Supervise the selection, training, development, and assignment of duties of resident assistants in consultation with the resident directors.
- Provide broad oversight to all residential facilities on campus, ensuring they are clean, safe, and well maintained. Collaborate with residential and facilities staff to maintain these facilities.
- Annually update handbooks for resident directors and resident assistants containing residence hall policies, procedures, and other general information.
- Supervise the part time Coordinator for residence life.
- Supervise the residency application, roommate selection, and room selection processes alongside the part time housing coordinator.
- Promote and support the Residence Hall Association including programming and coordination.
- Approve off-campus housing/commuter requests for students based on the residency requirement of the University.
- Work with residence life team to maintain residential life information on the TNU website.
- Supervise the assistant director of residence life for student concerns and accountability, proactively responding to first alerts, mental health referrals and student needs.
- Be available for calls after hours as needed for residence life concerns and emergencies.
- Work with the special events coordinator to provide housing and services to conferences/ groups using the campus during the summer and coordinate summer housing and maintenance projects with facilities management.
- Maintain professional growth and development through current research and literature, membership in professional associations, and attendance at seminars and conferences related to student development.
- Assist the vice president and dean of student development in complying with federal and state mandates relating to the Center for Student Development.
- Serve as a member of the student life council, chair the food service committee and student conduct councils.
- Perform other duties as requested by the vice president and dean of student development and university administration.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in higher education, counseling, leadership, organizational leadership, or another related field.
- 8 or more years of experience in residence life, housing, conduct, or related Student Affairs field.
- Demonstrated experience in responding to student concerns and emergencies, utilizing sound judgement in supporting overall student needs. Paraprofessional or professional staff supervision experience, with proven success in developing teams and student communities.
- Experience with staff recruitment, training, and development within the field of student affairs.
- Knowledge of best practices in higher education, student affairs, campus housing programs, student development and learning theories.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (written and verbal), administrative abilities, attention to detail, and organizational capabilities.
- Demonstrated public speaking, facilitation, training, and presentation experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of theory and practice related to college student development, student conduct, student wellness, and training and advising student leaders.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems, issues, and assignments.
- Ability to work non-traditional, flexible hours on nights and weekends.
- Experience with housing and conduct software/technologies (example: THD, StarRez, Maxient, Guardian, etc)
Interested parties who agree with the mission and values of Trevecca Nazarene University should send a current resume, and cover letter to JDDykes@trevecca.edu .
Label email subject line: Associate Dean of Students for Residence Life